View more guides at Linux Wiki Guides
This guide will help you configure the latest iwlwifi module for the Intel 3945ABG and 4965ABG wireless controllers under CentOS and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. For those that don't know, CentOS 5 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 are basically the same thing just with a different name so this guide applies to both.
We will be using 'nano' as our text editor of choice but you can use whatever you wish.
You should run a full update for your installation to ensure you have all the latest packages installed.
With the latest kernel release all that we need to install is the firmware. We will be using the ATrpms repository.
1. Load up a terminal window if you are in the graphic interface.
2. Switch to the root user by entering the command “su -” (without the quotes) and typing in your root password
3. Edit the file /etc/yum.conf. Using nano we type the command “nano -w /etc/yum.conf”
4. If you have already configured yum to use the ATrpms repository then append “*iwlwifi* *80211*” to the end of the “includepkgs” line and skip the next setup. Otherwise continue on.
5. Add the following to the bottom of this file:
[atrpms] name=EL $releasever - $basearch - ATrpms baseurl=http://dl.atrpms.net/el$releasever-$basearch/atrpms/stable gpgkey=http://ATrpms.net/RPM-GPG-KEY.atrpms gpgcheck=1 enabled=1 exclude=*kmdl*i586* includepkgs=*iwlwifi* *80211*
6. Save the file. In nano you press Ctrl-X, answer yes to the “Save modified buffer” question and then press enter on the file name to write.
7. If you have not previously setup ATrpms execute the following command:
rpm --import http://ATrpms.net/RPM-GPG-KEY.atrpms
8. Now execute the following command:
yum install iwlwifi-4965-ucode iwlwifi-3945-ucode
9. Now configure the ieee80211 module to start at boot:
cp -a /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-4965.ucode /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-4965-1.ucode cp -a /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-3945.ucode /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-3945-1.ucode
10. Reboot your system and you will be using the updated iwlwifi module.