View more guides at Linux Wiki Guides
Ultraportable laptop from Samsung. Also known as the “Series 5” laptop.
This page is just for discussing using Linux on the Samsung NP530U3B. For a general discussion about this laptop you can visit the Samsung NP530U3B page on LapWik.
If you would like to edit this page please first view our Editing Guidelines.
For full specifications see the Samsung NP530U3B specifications page.
|Processor||Intel Core i5-2467M Processor, 1.6GHz, turbo up to 2.3GHz|
|Screen||13.3“ 1366×768 Widescreen|
|RAM||4GB (up to 8GB)|
|HDD||500GB plus 16GB SSD|
|Graphics||Intel HD Graphics 3000|
|Screen||Yes||Brightness adjustment works|
|Built-in Microphone||Not Tested|
|Microphone Jack||Not Tested|
|Wireless||Yes||Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230|
|Bluetooth||Not Tested||recognized, but hasn't been tested yet…|
|Suspend/Resume||Partial||see the note below!|
* Tested with Ubuntu 12.04 live from USB key and Debian Testing (as of August 2012). To boot from USB remember that Quick Boot needs to be disabled from the BIOS.
* Seems to suffer a little overheating when compared to Windows.
* Lid close is not detected due to a BIOS problem
* ACPI does not reflect charging/discharging status for the battery correctly (the problem appear after some time of usage). The bug is described here: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44161 and here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acpi/+bug/971061
* suspend/resume Suspend/resume is not working out of the box. Though, for me it worked with the little script described here http://thecodecentral.com/2011/01/18/fix-ubuntu-10-10-suspendhibernate-not-working-bug (update: with newer distros suspend/resume seems working out of the box)
You can enter a summary of how well the Samsung NP530U3B works with Linux here.