View more guides at Linux Wiki Guides
This guide is intended to provide you details on how well this laptop works with Linux and which modules you need to configure. For details on how to actually install and configure the required modules have a look at our guides section for distribution specific instructions.
This page is just for discussing using Linux on the Acer Extensa 5230. For a general discussion about this laptop you can visit the Acer Extensa 5230 page on LapWik.
If you would like to edit this page please first view our Editing Guidelines.
For full specifications see the Acer Extensa 5230 specifications page.
|Name||Acer Extensa 5230|
|Processor||Intel® Celeron 575, 2Ghz, 1MB Cache|
|Screen||15.4“ WXGA Widescreen non-glare|
|RAM||Up to 4GB|
|HDD||Up to 160GB|
|Graphics||Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD|
|Network||Ethernet, Acer InviLink™ 802.11b/g/n|
|Screen||Yes||Changing brightness and turning the screen off work. Didn't try VGA-port yet|
|HDD||Yes||Worked for some weeks, nowadays i sometimes get errors like “SATA revalidation failed errno=-5”, appending “rootdelay=90” to the kernel-line in /boot/grub/menu.lst helps|
|Optical Drive||Yes||reading & burning|
|Graphics||Yes||1280×800, compiz & Fullscreen video with vlc works, 3D works|
|Sound||Yes||Speakers, built-in-microphone and head-phone-jack work, didn't try the rest yet|
|Ethernet||Yes||gigabit LAN works, 23MB/sec with FTP|
|Wireless||Yes||Works in Ubuntu 8.10 with driver ath9k and wext for wpa_supplicant|
|56K Modem||Not Tested|
|USB||Yes||mouse, keyboard, webcam, usb-hdd, …|
|Card Reader||Yes||4GB SDHC works (dmesg sounds like only SD-cards work)|
|ExpressCard Slot||Not Tested, but found by kernel in dmesg|
Tested with ubuntu 8.10 and modules acer_wmi & i915:
* Some of the special buttons work (screen brightness, volume, mail, home, … ) some not.
* Standby and “Suspend to disk” work. “Pressing the power button” and “closing the lid” is properly detected and configurable.
* the fan runs only seldom, quite laptop, goooood!
* touchpad works, also scrolling pages by moving the finger on the right side. tipping the pad works as a click.
* mine has a bluetooth-button but the chip is missing. acer says it's a built-option, not all models have it.
*Works with preinstalled Linpus Linux. Owner Icq:438-710-754
*works with ubuntu 8.10 except some 3d-stuff