View more guides at Linux Wiki Guides
This guide is intended to provide you details on how well this laptop works with Linux and which modules you need to configure. For details on how to actually install and configure the required modules have a look at our guides section for distribution specific instructions.
If you would like to edit this page please first view our Editing Guidelines.
For full specifications see the Acer Extensa 5230E specifications page.
|Name||Acer Extensa 5230E|
|Processor||Intel® Celeron 900, 2.2Ghz, 3MB L2 Cache|
|Screen||15.4“ WXGA Widescreen non-glare|
|RAM||1GB, up to 4GB|
|Optical Drive||DVD-Super Multi Double Layer|
|Graphics||Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD|
|Network||Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5764M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (from lspci)|
|WLAN||Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X (from lspci)|
|Screen||Yes||Changing brightness and turning the screen off work. Didn't try VGA-port yet|
|Optical Drive||Yes||reading (burning not yet tested)|
|Sound||Yes||Speakers, line out (others not tested)|
|Wireless||Yes||Works in Ubuntu 9.10 with driver ath9k wpa_supplicant (high load seems to hang it)|
|56K Modem||Not Tested|
Tested with ubuntu 9.10
* Some of the special buttons work (screen brightness, volume, mail, home, … ) some not. All but one register something with X11 as seen with xev, so can in principle be used.
* Standby and “Suspend to disk” work. “Pressing the power button” and “closing the lid” is properly detected and configurable.
* the fan runs only seldom, quite laptop, goooood!
* touchpad works, also scrolling pages by moving the finger on the right side. tipping the pad works as a click.
* After fixing current ubuntu 9.10 udev issues, it works as an mp3-player with rythmbox, lid closed at 15W and a CPU load of 5%, not bad.
*Works with preinstalled Linpus Linux. Owner Icq:438-710-754
*works with ubuntu 9.10