View more guides at Linux Wiki Guides
This is a guide to running Linux with the HP-Compaq 6735S laptop.
This guide is intended to provide you details on how well this laptop works with Linux and which modules you need to configure. For details on how to actually install and configure the required modules have a look at our guides section for distribution specific instructions.
This page is just for discussing using Linux on the HP-Compaq 6735s. For a general discussion about this laptop you can visit the HP-Compaq 6735s page on LapWik.
If you would like to edit this page please first view our Editing Guidelines.
For full specifications see the HP-Compaq 6735S specifications page.
|Processor||AMD Turion 64 X2 / AMD Athlon X2 / Sempron SI-40|
|Screen||15.4“ WXGA Widescreen|
|RAM||1GB to 8GB|
|HDD||120GB to 250GB|
|Graphics||ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3200|
|Network||Ethernet, Broadcom 802.11abgn, Broadcom 802.11bg, Bluetooth|
|Other||Webcam / Card reader|
|56K Modem||Not Tested|
* For the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3200 you will need to install the ATI's proprietary fglrx module to get proper display support since the X.org drive does not yet support this controller. For kernels 2.6.27.* you will need to apply unofficial patch (google for it) in order to compile fglrx driver. Please note that depending your kernel version you may need to apply changes to firegl_public.c file manually using source code from patch file.
[EDIT 04.12.2008] ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3200 works without any problems with fglrx driver as well as with an open source ati driver.
* The Broadcom wireless controller in the 6735S is well supported with latest linux distributions. Older distributions need some work. It may work with ndiswrapper or with these broadcom drivers.. For kernels 2.6.27.* you will need unofficial patch (google: hybrid_wl-188.8.131.52_patch-2.6.27-ARCH)
[EDIT 04.12.2008] There is a native driver, even n-draft works.
[EDIT 2008.12.06] No, as of 2.6.27, b43 driver does not recognize 14e4:4315
* Webcam works with UVC driver
* Bluetooth (sending/receiving files) works ok with native linux drivers
* Sound card works ok with native linux driver (snd_hda_intel module) but for laptop speakers you may need some extra settings (google: options snd-hda-intel model=laptop)
* USB works ok with native linux drivers (tested with few digital cameras, various storage devices, few SE mobile phones i/e SE P1i and speedtouch 330 adsl modem)
* Express card slot works ok (tested with HUAWEI E870 GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA card)
* Lightscribe function for CD/DVD drive works ok
* Card reader works ok with native linux drivers
* Fn key doesn`t work - in order to use some special actions (i/e shade/brighten screen) you may set left ctrl to act as Fn key.
* black screen after “wake up” from “hibernate”
* express cards don`t work in hibernate mode (afaik common issue on many laptops)
* you will need too apply some extra settings/patching (as mentioned above) in order to configure wifi/sound/graphic card which might be really hard task for unexperienced linux users.
Most of these issues are not relevant with latest linux distributions.
This laptop is a good choice for linux users.