View more guides at Linux Wiki Guides
This is a compatibility guide to running Linux with the Lenovo G550 laptop series.
This page is just for discussing using Linux on the Lenovo G550. For a general discussion about this laptop you can visit the Lenovo G550 page on LapWik.
If you would like to edit this page please first view our Editing Guidelines.
For full specifications see the Lenovo G550 specifications page.
Detailed specifications depend from the Model Name. The known variables are shown in the table below:
|Processor||Intel Dual Core T4300 2.1GHz or Intel Dual Core T4500 @ 2.30GHz Per Core||?||?|
|Graphics||Intel Graphics Media GM45||NVIDIA GeForce G 105M||NVIDIA GeForce G 210M|
|Screen||15.6” (1366×768) Widescreen|
|RAM||Up to 8GB|
|HDD||250GB to 320GB|
Intel WIFI Link 802.11a/b/g draft-n
|Graphics (Intel GM45)||works|
|Wireless||*works$||if using broadcom wifi must download driver in order to use…see bellow|
You can enter any specific notes with running Linux on the Lenovo G550 here.
* Wireless Broadcom 802.11 b/g requires drivers before using Driver can be found at http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1604868.html or at http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
$ Wireless Broadcom 802.11 b/g works out of box if using Puppy Linux version 5.7.1
* Graphics require the beta driver from NVidia. Otherwise the resolution is low. Tested with Opensuse 11.1.
* Intel version (G550G) works well in Ubuntu 9.10. Suspend to ram works, brightness keys don't work out-of-the box (workaround: use the screen brightness GNOME applet). Nvidia version works in Ubuntu 9.10.
* Nvidia 210M requires Option “ModeValidation” “NoTotalSizeCheck” otherwise it displays 6 displays, 640×400 each. Checked on Gentoo x64 and drivers 190.53
* CPU fan might oscillate with 30 second intervals in Ubuntu 9.10 - happens also in windows (for Nvidia laptops). This issue has been solved in latest BIOS: http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_show_2522.html# (32-bit Windows binary).
Everything that is tested works fine with the correct driver.